Baptism / Chrismation
Contact the priest as soon as the baby is born. Instruction classes are offered for new parents and sponsors.
Requirements for Sponsors At Baptism
The Law requires at least ONE sponsor for baptism, and provides criteria for being a good sponsor.
- He or she must be a practicing Catholic – this may be attested to by a certificate from the sponsor’s proper parish pastor;
- He or she must have been fully initiated into the Church (have received all three initiation Mysteries);
- Must be living a good, Catholic life;
- Be free of Excommunication;
- Not be mother, father, or spouse [of the candidate], and be at least 18 years old.
In general, the sponsor should be the kind of person who will support the parents in the duty of giving the child(ren) a Christian education and be a good example of Catholic life.
It is the policy of the Maronite Church to administer the Mystery of Confirmation at the time of Baptism.
Parents of children who have received both Mysteries (Baptism and Confirmation) should also make the staff of a Latin parish whose school the children may attend aware that these Mysteries have been received, for neither Baptism nor Chrismation may be repeated.
Epistle Mystery of Baptism and Christmation